Wednesday, August 3, 2011

B - M - W easy as 1 - 2 - 3

As times change so do many etiquette "rules". Can you wear white after Labor Day? Why not?!? I love my white jeans all year round, especially in Los Angeles. However, I do think there are many etiquette rules that need to be observed, in fact I own Emily Post's, larger than life, etiquette book - although I have to admit it is currently collecting dust.

One dinner etiquette rule that drives me nuts is when someone does not know which bread plate belongs to them. I have attended countless dinner parties where either my date or the random person sitting next to me steels my bread plate and my bread is left homeless, sitting in my hand, while I try and figure out where to place it. If your "Momma" forgot to teach you a few of the basics I would highly encourage you to learn! I know, I know many of you are thinking, "who cares!" Well, let me tell you I care and believe it or not so do many others. Many corporations now employ a professional etiquette professional to teach their employees so that the employ will not embarrass themselves OR the corporation.

So let's take baby steps. It really is very simple. The next time you find yourself setting a table or at a dinner and you forget where the basics are to be placed just think, "B - M - W", like the car: Bread - Meal - Water! Easy as 1 - 2 - 3! Your Bread plate sits to the left of the Meal plate while your Water sits to the right: Viola B - M - W!

Let me know what etiquette topic you think need to be eliminated, talked about or added in life on Twitter: @CortneyBailey

Cheers!
Cortney a.k.a. Cort

No comments: